Select Page

Following Chapel on November 10, a commemorative photo was taken. Several alumni participated, as well as students and employees.

Oakwood Industrial School opened its doors to 16 students on November 16, 1896. Today, 120 years later, Oakwood University concludes a week of celebratory activities that have been named Founder’s Day.

On November 10, the E.E. Rogers Biblical Languages & Resource Center was dedicated, honoring Dr. Ernest E. Rogers, who served as Oakwood’s first full-timeprofessor of Biblical languages, from 1945 to 1979.  The Center fosters the learning and use of Biblical languages, and provides computer-based resources for students.

Dr. and Mrs. E.E. Rogers cut the ribbon, with Dr. Dedrick Blue (left) and Dr. Leslie Pollard (right).

Later that afternoon, a portrait of President  J.L.Moran was unveiled at Moran Hall, h onoring J.L. Moran, Oakwood’s first African-American president (1932-1945).Several alumni gentlemen were the speakers for various services during the celebration, including

Dr. MyRon Edmonds, ’99,  Dr. Calvin Rock, ’54. A Gospel Music Fest took place on Sabbath evening, November 12, featuring the A eolians and guest choirs from Bethune-Cookman University, and Alabama A&M University.

At noon today in Blake Center, a party was held to say ” Happy Birthday, Oakwood!”  Mr. and Miss  Oakwood encouraged all to wear Oakwood gear on Founder’s Day, in order to receive a FREE commemorative t-shirt.

President Pollard (left), Anita and Frank Jacobs, and USM President Gabriel Carter (wearing the commemorative tee-shirt) are interviewed by Naomi Coggs, senior communications major and reporter for OUBN, during the 120 year birthday party earlier today at Blake Center.
Founder’s Day festivities conclude tonight following Prayer Meeting at the Lawrence Jacobs Historic Silos Plaza, with hot chocolate, donuts, cider and a fireworks display.

EnglishFrenchGermanKoreanSpanish