Operation Safe Travel and Safe Return provided for students
The Department of Public Safety and Transportation to provide a safe environment for the students, faculty, and staff that will enhance the institution’s rich heritage.
The Public Safety Department prides itself on promoting and maintaining a safe campus environment conducive to academic achievement. We believe that a truly safe campus can only be achieved through the cooperation of the entire University community and strongly encourage your participation in assisting us to prevent crime.
It is our hope that this website provides you with the information necessary to make informed, intelligent decisions regarding your safety while on Campus. We encourage any feedback you may have regarding this website and any activity conducted by the Public Safety Department.
From the Chief
Thank you for taking the time to visit our website and learn more about the services that are critical to the safety of our students, faculty and staff. We are on a mission to create a safe and peaceful environment for all students, faculty, staff and visitors of Oakwood University.
Guided by our motto – “Love of God, Service to Man” – we maintain a presence 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and provide a wealth of programs, trainings and services to accomplish our goal.
We believe open lines of communication can help make this campus a safer place for our Oakwood family, so please share your thoughts and insights on campus safety, crime prevention and law enforcement.
Thank you for working with us to enforce a bright, secure future for Oakwood!
Melvin C. Harris
Chief of Police
- You can help protect yourself by taking a few precautions and following these safety tips:
- Trust your instincts. If a place or situation doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t. Leave.
- Avoid shortcuts and isolated areas when walking after dark.
- Don’t walk alone after dark. Early evening to late evening, travel only in groups of three or more in well-lit and heavily traveled areas. Call for a police escort (256.726.7375).
- When traveling in your vehicle, keep windows up and doors locked.
- If approached, don’t resist a robber especially if he/she has a weapon.
- Never venture into or through dark or undesirable neighborhoods.
- Familiarize yourself with call box locations.
- Don’t carry large sums of cash.
- Get a good description of the attacker and locate a safe area in the event of an encounter.
- If attacked or approached by someone suspicious, contact the police immediately by calling 256.726.7911 or use the nearest call box.
Student Task Force
The Student Task Force gives students with an opportunity to work in a non-sworn capacity while enrolled at the Oakwood University Police Department. Their primary mission is to enforce the university policies, while serving as additional eyes and ears for our campus police officers, which increases safety for the university students, staff, faculty and visitors.
Requirements and Training
To be eligible for employment, students must complete a lengthy application process and meet certain standards similar to that of a police officer. Those selected will undergo training that includes:
- Enforcement procedures
- Report writing
- Legal issues
- Verbal communication
- Golf cart training
Emergency Notification Form
Emergency Assistance: (256) 726-7911
Police Dispatch: (256) 726-7375
Police Records: (256) 726-7374
Non-Emergency: (256) 726-7371
Fax: (256) 726-7441