First Year Experience and Retention
Congratulations and Welcome to Oakwood University! We are glad that you have chosen ‘OU’ as yOUr university. Here you will enter to learn and depart to serve.
What is FYE?
The First Year Experience Department supports new students with the transition to university life by equipping them with the tools needed to be successful at Oakwood University and beyond. This is done by assigning Peer Leaders to each freshman as a guide throughout their first year. Seminars and workshops are held multiple times each semester to equip students with time management, career readiness, study skills and more. In addition, engaging and fun activities like field days and game nights allow students to get to know their peers better.
Orientation Dates and Activities
Spring 2021 Face-to-Face New Student Orientation is Thursday and Friday, August 5th & 6th, 2021. Move in for Freshman is Wednesday, August 4, 2021 at 8:30am CST.
- Students will have the opportunity to:
- Engage with university leaders and faculty to learn about classroom expectations
- Receive information about course schedule
- Learn about life outside of the classroom
- Meet their Oakwood Peer Leader and connect, Mr. & Mrs. Oakwood and Oakwood’s USM President and Council
- Become an official member of OU Connect!
- When will New Student Orientation begin? New Student Orientation will begin on August 5 and end on August 6, 2021 at 8:30am (CST)
- Move in day is Wednesday, August 4, 2021 at 8:30 am CST
- Using your mobile phone search Oakwood University to download the app from Google Play Store or Apple App Store
- Log in to the app by using your new OU email address and password.
- Once you are in the app GO TO the second widget that resembles an institution (bottom of the screen, 2nd icon)
- Scroll up to Student Services
- Scroll up until you see First Year Experience – click there
- Become a member
- Keep checking there for the most current updates for New Student Orientation, the schedule and exciting events and news throughout the semester for Freshman
New Student Orientation Registration Form
Register for Classes
Registration in 4 Easy Steps:
- Pay your Commitment Fee in student accounts if you haven’t yet.
- Have your official transcripts scores in hand.
- Decide on your major.
- Center for Student Success advisor who will serve as your Registration Guide.