First Year Experience and Retention
Congratulations and Welcome to Oakwood University! We are glad that you have chosen ‘OU’ as yOUr university. Here you will enter to learn and depart to serve.
What is FYER?
The First Year Experience and Retention department supports new students with the transition to university life by equipping them with the tools they will need to be successful at Oakwood University and beyond. Some of the ways we do this is by providing peer mentors to be a guide throughout your first year, seminars/workshops to help you learn skills such as time management and study skills, and fun activities like field days and game nights that allow you to get to know your peers a little better!
Orientation Dates and Activities
- Engage with university leaders and faculty to learn about classroom expectations
- Receive information about course schedule
- Learn about life outside of the classroom
- Meet Oakwood Peer Mentors, Mr. & Mrs. Oakwood and Oakwood’s USM President
- Become an official member of OUConnect!
- Using your mobile phone search Oakwood University to download the app from Google Play Store or Apple App Store
- Log in to the app by using your new OU email address and password.
- Once you are in the app GO TO: the second widget that resembles an institution (bottom of the screen, 2nd icon)
- Scroll up to Student Services
- Scroll up until you see First Year Experience – Click on it!
- Become a member
- Keep checking here for all your updates for New Student Orientation and exciting events throughout the semester for Freshman!
New Student Orientation Registration Form
Register for Classes
Registration in 4 Easy Steps:
- Pay your Commitment Fee (if not already done).
- Have your official ACT/SAT scores in hand.
- Determine your major or decide if your major will remain undeclared for the first semester of college.
- Click Here to contact a Center for Student Success advisor who will serve as your Registration Guide.