The Communication Department aim is to shape the communication professionals of tomorrow by providing a synergistic learning experience that combines spiritual awareness, theoretical grounding, and practical application, thus enabling our students to successfully compete in today’s marketplace.
Students in communication are prepared for professional careers in broadcasting, journalism, and public relations, or for media-related positions in education and industry. Other opportunities include graduate school, consulting, law, library science, public affairs, and teaching. Artists find employment in a variety of professions in thousands of organizations around the world.
- The specific and primary purpose is to provide a vehicle through which communication students may enhance their skills and experience by completing practical projects, and working with professional and semi-professional communicators and organizations.
- The general purpose is to actively promote the highest standards of communication creativity, performance, education and research.
- To increase the skill level of members, through the use of projects (Inside Oakwood, Commercials, Public Relations) so members will be able to have experience in there area of interest
- To develop a sense of comradeship between Communication majors and minors
- To make the club more visible in the community and throughout campus (ie, community service activities, participation in preliminaries at Prayer Meeting, etc.)
- To provide networking outlets to secure internships and jobs after graduation.
- To establish a system of mentoring
Members – Any major or minor regularly enrolled at Oakwood University who maintains a minimum of 2.0 GPA – Dues ~ $10 per semester, $18 per year
Club Officer – Any student member is nomination as a club officer who:
- Meets the University’s eligibility of a 2.5 GPA
- Is a communication major or minor and
- Is a dues-paying club member
Officer Positions – president, president-elect (vice president), secretary, treasurer, chaplain, and public relations officer. Appointed officers are: assistant secretary and assistant public relations officer
Eligibility Criteria – the club will give 3 textbook scholarships in the form of $75 bookstore vouchers. Applicants must:
- Be a registered member of the club for at least one semester;
- Have dues paid currently
- Have met club meeting attendance requirements (two unexcused absences allowed)
- Have the application turned in by the deadline
- Art (A.S.)
Commercial Art | Photography
- Communication (B.A.
Communication ArtsPublic Relations
- Visual Media (B.A.) Coming Fall 2018
- Graphic Design
- Communication Media (B.A.)
- Communication Media
- Communication Club
SOME COURSES YOU MAY TAKE:
AR 111 : Fundamentals of Drawing
CO 201 : Fundamentals of Public Speaking
CO 342 : Radio and TV Broadcasting
Your donations at work!! We are excited to share the progress of the new Oakwood Treehouse Lounge & Café. Things are beginning to take shape asthe lower level of Blake Center is being transformed for our students. Thanks to the project organizers and all the...read more
Oakwood University continues to build the quality of personnel that will serve our students and constituents in the best possible way. The Eva B. Dykes Library is currently looking to fill the position of Librarian - Electronic Resources. The ideal candidate would...read more
Sara Turner will be arriving on campus in a few weeks, to register for the fall semester 2018 at Oakwood University. Sara intends to study Marketing with a minor in International Business.read more
Oakwood University Aeolians Win at World Choir Games in Tshwane, South Africa with Highest Scores Oakwood University Aeolians achieved highest scores in two categories to win big at the 10th edition of World Choir Games in Tshwane, located in the northern part of...read more
“If it were not for Oakwood’s Communication department, I would not have had the success I’ve had in television news! The instructors pushed us, encouraged us, gave us strict deadlines; all to prepare us for the tough world of daily news! Not only was I well prepared, but was on the top of my game and moved from the reporter to anchor ladder faster than many of my colleagues! I’m forever thankful for my instructors and the work ethic they helped me to cultivate!”
Kym Richardson, Class of 1993
Anchor WPMI-TV/Local 15, Mobile, AL
“Even though I have a career in IT, I truly believe that my communication studies at Oakwood University set me on a path of success. Classes such as small group, interpersonal and intercultural communication equipped me with the skills and the confidence I needed to communicate effectively in any setting. A communication degree from OU will provide you with the tools you need to thrive professionally.”
Lee Munro, Class of 2014
BA in Communication Media: Print Journalism
“The photography program at Oakwood University has helped develop the artist in me. The training there taught me to shoot beyond my natural eye, while utilizing several of the techniques I learned.”
Alex Carlisle, Class of 2012
AS in Art: Photography