Students interacting with recruiters
The office of Career Development offers a variety of services to assist students in exploring their career interests and design career strategies. The center provides career opportunities through programs and services which will enhance their professional opportunities and increase their marketability.
Services Provided by Individual Appointments
- Resume preparation
- Self assessment resource (inventories)
- Recruitment Info sessions
- Mock Interviews
- Job Search Strategies
- Career Development Workshops
- Career Counseling
- Career and Internship Information Sessions
Services Provided by E-mail (For this service, e-mail resumes to): firstname.lastname@example.org
(reply is usually within 24 hours)
- Resume for review
- Cover letters to be critiqued Personal statement editing
- Application review
- On-Campus Recruitment Opportunities
- Career Service Resource Library/Lab
- Resume Template
- Sample Resume
- Personal Statement Guide
Youth Mentoring Task Force
The Youth Mentoring Task Force (YMTF) program, formerly sponsored by the National Alliance of Business, is designed to bring to predominantly minority colleges and universities, informed, dedicated, and successful professionals from every walk of life. Their aim is to explain career opportunities in business and industry, to discuss how the world of work operates, and to share their personal career experiences. These professionals provide students with the direction and insight necessary in making realistic career decisions.
The Task Force’s primary focus of this annual event is classroom visitations, networking, and establishing mentoring relationships with students.
Employer-Internship Request Form
Employers Job Posts
Employers wishing to list a job with Career Services at Oakwood University can fax the job announcement to 256-726-7139 or email the announcement to Verneice Wright (email@example.com) or contact us at 256 726-7134.
The Internship program provides students with work experience in their chosen field of study. The program enables students to combine classroom instruction with practical, on-the-job experience in the corporate, business, government and other organizations.
Enrolled students may access internships and job opportunities by logging on to D2L
To be eligible for internships students must register with the Career Services Center.
HOW TO REGISTER
- Complete the Student Profile form on-line
- Submit a current resume
- Both documents should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Indicate Profile Info on the subject line
- Hard copies may be dropped off at the Career Services & Testing Center
OU Career Fair
You are invited to attend Oakwood University’s annual Career Fair on Monday, September 11, 2017 from 9:00am till 2:00p.m. at Oakwood University. The registration fee is $100. Registration deadline is August 31, 2017.
This Job Fair allows employers and graduate schools the opportunity to share information and to discuss career opportunities within your organization with our students, graduates and the university’s community members. We encourage you to come to promote all opportunities: Fulltime Co-op, Internship, Seasonal, Part-time and Graduate School. There may also be students who want to meet you to ask questions about their chosen fields. We trust you will welcome their questions and offer your wisdom and assistance in their career development process.
Please note that we are inviting only those employers who are interested in meeting with our students, and university community members. Space is limited to the first 75 businesses and registrations will be accepted in the order in which they are received. If you have any questions concerning the Job Fair, please call Verneice Wright at 256-726-7134. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you at the Career Fair.
FEES FOR EACH ATTENDEE: Regular Registration $100
Fees include: for up to 2 individuals; booth, refreshments, lunch ticket and grand drawing
- Credit Card Payment (Must be made through Oakwood University’s Cashier at (256) 726-8429)
- Check (Make payable to Oakwood University Career Services & Testing)
Event details will follow upon receipt of registration form and fee
Oakwood University’s Testing Center is equipped to offer its clients a variety of services to meet their testing needs. Such services include the following: course exemption exams (CLEP and DSST), self-knowledge inventories (MBTI, PSP, Strong, Temperament Inventory), and proctored distant learning exams.
We also administer most of the national admission and certification exams offered by ETS, ACT, and LSAT. Our purpose is to accommodate examinees whose religious beliefs prohibit them to test on Saturdays by administering the test on an alternate test date scheduled by the testing agency (ETS/ACT/LSAT).
For information concerning registering and taking the test, visit the web links of the selected test.
Important Facts to Remember:
- Test takers requesting to test on a day other than Saturday must submit their application with a letter of request from their clergy via mail. You must register via mail for tests such as ACT, PRAXIS, and APTTP for failure to send the letter with the application will schedule you on the Saturday test date.
- Bring proper identification to testing site. A photo ID with your signature. (Examples of identification include passports, drivers license, military identification, etc)
- Do not bring items which may distract other examinees to testing center or room. Cell phones, beepers, beeping watches, etc. should not be brought to the testing center.
- If your test allows you to use a calculator bring one that is approved by ACT/SAT or check the test website for a list of approved calculators.
- The email address is email@example.com and the fax number is 256-726-7139.