The Department of Department of Health and Counseling offers a variety of services, including but not limited to:
- Evaluation and management of acute and chronic illnesses
- Emergency and injury care assessment
- Women’s health
- Laboratory Services
- Limited medical supplies as directed by Health Services’ provider
The Department of Health and Counseling also provides the follow services:
- Personal Counseling
- Group Counseling
All services provided by the Department of Health & Counseling are confidential. Information about your participation in counseling will not be disclosed to anyone without your written permission except for rare occasions required by law, including reasonable suspicion of abuse of children; serious danger of violence toward someone else; or serious danger that you may harm yourself unless protective measures are taken.
Health Insurance Enrollment & Waiver Form
INSURANCE CARDS MUST BE PRESENTED AT TIME OF MEDICAL SERVICE.
For further assistance please contact us at 256.726.7840
Medical Record Request
Medical records or immunizations may be obtained as follows:
- A physician or healthcare provider may fax an official release of information on letter head signed by the patient to (256) 726-7471.
- Patients (or legal representative if patient is younger than 14 years of age, incapacitated or deceased) may request a copy of medical records or immunizations in person at the Oakwood University Health and Counseling Services office. Patient (or legal representative) is required to submit a valid photo ID and a completed Release of Information form. (Printable Release of Information form may be downloaded below)
* (A valid photo ID includes a driver’s license, military ID or passport)
Once request is received, please allow five to seven business days for processing. (Note: Request may take longer to process when school is not in session).
Mail completed Release of Information form and a copy of valid photo ID to:
Health & Counseling Services
7000 Adventist Blvd
Huntsville, AL 35896
To request records in person, office hours are as follows:
Monday thru Thursday 8:30am-4:30pm (Central Daylight Time)
Closed for lunch 11:30 am-1:00pm (Central Daylight Time)
Friday 8:30am-11:30am (Central Daylight Time)
To speak with someone regarding your request, call (256) 726-7840.
(Note: A reasonable fee may apply)
Note: Patient/student may request only immunization records to be faxed or emailed directly to them. Submit a valid photo ID and a completed Release of Information form, as well as, a cover page which includes:
- Name and Identification Number while attending Oakwood University
- Year of graduation or years attended
- The information that is to be released (i.e. immunization records)
- How the information should be forwarded (i.e. fax, mail or email)
Immunization and TB Requirements
- PPD (TB) Skin Test – Must be done within the last 12 months from the start of school or attach a copy of chest x-ray results done within the last 2 years. If TB test is positive, you must attach a copy the follow up chest x-ray results.
- Two MMRs (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella) — After 12 months of age for students born after 1957, or attach a copy of blood tests showing immunity for all three diseases.
- Tdap (Tetanus Diphtheria Pertussis) must be up to date and done with in the last 10 years.
- Hepatitis B (Series of 3) – Student chooses either to be vaccinated or sign a waiver.
- Meningococcal Meningitis – Student chooses either to be vaccinated or sign a waiver.
Students living on campus are encouraged to be immunized with the Meningococcal and Hepatitis B vaccine series within their first semester.
All international students from high risk areas MUST have a tuberculin skin test done after arriving in the United States. (Complete TB Screen Questionnaire form under the Immunization link to determine risk.).
Students without proof of required immunizations will have a hold placed on their account until the proper immunization documentation has been received by the Department of Health and Counseling Services.
Students who do not have adequate proof will be required to be immunized
Certificate of Immunization
The Oakwood University Immunization Form or an official immunization document must be completed and signed by an appropriate healthcare provider, then submitted to Health and Counseling Services prior to registration.
All international students are required to accept the insurance offered by the school. For further information contact The Department of Health and Counseling Services at (256) 726-7840.
For insurance forms, please refer to Health Insurance Enrollment/Waiver.
5035 Oakwood Road
Huntsville, AL 35896
Phone: (256) 726-7840
Fax: (256) 726-7471
Mon.-Thurs. – 8:30a.m. – 4:30p.m.
Friday – 8:30a.m. – 11:30a.m.
Closed for lunch – 11:30a.m. – 1:00p.m.
Public Safety: (256) 726-7911
Huntsville Hospital: (256) 265-1000
Crestwood Hospital: (256) 429-4000