A drone shot of the campus
Oakwood Memorial Gardens
A Brief Historic Overview
In the mid-1970s, Eric Ward, pastor of the Oakwood College Church expressed the need for the Oakwood College and Greater Huntsville Communities to have a cemetery to serve its families. Nearly 25 years later, his desire and dream were revived and championed by Dr. Delbert Baker, then President of Oakwood College (1996 – 2010).
Oakwood Memorial Gardens (OMG) was officially established in 2001. An appropriate location for the cemetery was designated on the lovely and peaceful setting near the Historic Slave Cemetery and Pioneer Lake on the southern boundary of the college’s property.
OMG has become a thriving reality because of the efforts of many persons and entities, including former Mayor Loretta Spencer; the Huntsville City Council, the Madison County Health Department and a large number of city officials, local business personalities, and individuals associated with Oakwood College (University) in a variety of leadership roles. The following represents just a few of the persons who gave stellar support to the initiative: City Council President Glenn Watson, Councilman Richard Showers, Dr. Lawrence Robey of the Madison County Health Department; Commissioner Dale Strong, Phillip Wilbanks of Wilbanks Survey; Bud Jolly of Russell Welding. Major financial donors that undergirded the initiative were Eric C. Ward, Lawrence Jacobs, Sr., and Christopher and Denise Cleveland-Leggett in honor of Harold and Elizabeth Cleveland.
Oakwood Memorial Gardens has become an integral part of the Huntsville community and is filling a need for families experiencing loss through the death of a loved one. How comforting it is to know that their loved one is resting in a place that is naturally lovely, peaceful, and can be considered, in many ways, “sacred ground.” OMG is A Place of Beauty, A Place of Remembrance, A Place of Rest Until Christ Returns.
In growing numbers, caring people are protecting their loved ones from uncertainty and stress by making their own cemetery arrangements in advance. Although your need may be years – even decades – in the future, planning now will allow you to make your own choices, while providing you and your family with many other benefits. It is a thoughtful way that you can show your loved ones how much you care.
Planning ahead protects your family from making hasty, difficult and costly arrangements in your absence. Our staff will assist you in making the best decision relative to location, cost, and services available. An additional benefit is the cost for the services you select is guaranteed never to increase, freezing your cost and saving you money.
AVAILABLE BURIAL SERVICES
- Cemetery personnel will be available at the burial service to ensure that your plans are executed. We will assist with making your guests comfortable and with the grave closing.
- When the number of persons attending the burial service warrants, uniformed university security officers will be assigned to assist with parking, guest safety, and other needs that might arise.
- For the burial service, a canopy is erected to help shield the family from the elements.
- Each Memorial day and Veteran’s Day, American Flags are placed in the cemetery in honor of the service our veterans have rendered for our country and the protections of our freedoms as citizens of the United States of America.
- Pre-need Installment Plans are available for those who wish to select their family burial plots early and avoid inevitable future price increases. A ten-percent deposit is required at the time the contract is initiated. The balance can be paid over a 12-month, 18-month, 24-month, or 36-month period, interest free. A counselor will be happy to discuss the specifics with you.
- Headstones/monuments can be obtained through OMG. Our office staff will assist you in making your selection from the many styles that are available. View Here
ABOVE GROUND ENTOMBMENT
Above ground entombment is an alternative to traditional in-ground burial, and saves the expense of purchasing a grave liner or vault. OMG offers family mausoleums that can accommodate two to six family members, and columbarium niches to contain cremation remains. These are special ordered and must be purchased on a pre-need contract.
In-ground burial provides for personal preference by offering individual, companion or discounted family- multiple plots. The cemetery also provides a special section to accommodate upright headstones/memorials. These memorials are available in many styles and sizes and price ranges.
In-ground burial is available for cremation remains at reduced plot and opening and closing fees. Cremation plots measure one-half of a regular burial plot, and can accommodate two cremation urns. Only one headstone is permitted, but the single headstone can bear inscriptions for both decedents.