Update for Parents on Oakwood University Events, News, and Situations
Campus Response To Tragedy
Update for Parents Regarding the Oakwood University Student Shooting
One of our a second-year student was killed on Sunday evening, September 16, 2018, at approximately 11:00 pm at an off-campus location. The details behind the incident are still under investigation by Huntsville and Oakwood University Police Departments. For this reason, we are not able to provide detailed information. Here’s what we are doing and have done:
-Classes are canceled for today 09/17/2018.
-Currently, our school crisis intervention team is engaged in a number of different activities designed to help our students understand and cope with this tragedy. We have university and community-based counselors and clergy available for students to talk to as needed. If you feel your student would benefit from talking to someone, please let us know and we will let the counselors know. Multiple Counselors and clergy have been assigned to the residential facilities, cafeteria, the Millet Activity Center, Gymnasium, Market, Library.
Information Lines: For Students: 256-726-8245. For Parents: 256-726-7922
- Areas where Counselors will be throughout the day (9/17/2018)
1. Market – Octavio Ramirez, Isaac Ibarra, Shawnda Cotton
2. Gym – Dedrick Blue, Cory Rowe, Isaac Olatunji
3. Library – MAC, Recruitment – Chaplains
4. Cafeteria – Local school counselors/Shalunda Sherrod
5. Wade – Dee Ibarra, Lorraine Frye
6. Edwards – Woodrow Vaughn, Janice Collins
7. Carter – Linda Anderson, Pamlea Cook, Paulene Sawyers, Carmen Bucknor
8. Holland – John Ruffin, James Caldwell, Martin Hodnett
9. West Oaks/Annex, Camille Kibler, Manuel Moral
Please keep the student’s family in your thoughts and prayer as well as the entire Oakwood University community.
1. A prayer vigil was conducted today at noon at the Bell Tower.
2. Another prayer vigil is scheduled at 6:00 pm at the Eternal Flame (09/17/2018)
Visit situation.oakwood.edu for more updated information