A student completing pushups for this HC2020 assessment
Healthy Campus 2020
Healthy Campus 2020 (HC2020) is Oakwood University’s organized initiative to empower students to make healthy choices. This program is a response to the problem of preventable diseases, which affect our students. Healthy Campus 2020 will help to educate the campus regarding healthy lifestyle decisions utilizing the eight laws of health in order to foster a holistic approach to a healthy mind, body, and soul. The goal of Healthy Campus 2020 is to make Oakwood University the healthiest campus in America.
Oakwood University is located within Region IV of the United States. The Department of Health and Human Services is divided into eight state regions. Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. The centers for Disease Control and Prevention have identified health disparities in these regions, such as obesity, hypertension, and diabetes. Although Oakwood University is located in Alabama, a great part of the student population has permanent residence in the above
named states, as well as about 40 other countries around the world.
Good health is essential to optimal success throughout the journey of life. By initiating the Healthy Campus 2020 program, Oakwood University is implementing an organized and focused plan to purposefully enrich the health status of the Oakwood student body, faculty, staff, and the surrounding community.
Upon entering Oakwood University, students will be given a health transcript. This document will be accessed by the healthcare team
and will allow students to be assessed in every dimension of wellness – physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and social.
The goal of Healthy Campus 2020 is for students to experience the abundant life that is promised in John 10:10. So, incorporating
knowledge of whose they are, they begin to understand how they have been created, and how to make choices to steward body, mind, and soul.
The H02020 Team has identified 10 principles that can help lead you to optimal health (STAND 0UT!®): Sunshine, Temperance, Adequate rest, Nutrition, Drink water, Outdoors, Use physical activity, and Trust in God!
Enjoy your HC2020 experience!
– Leslie Pollard, Phil, D.Min., MBA
President, Oakwood University
Why is a Health Ambassador important to Oakwood University?
A Health Ambassador plays an essential role in energizing others to live abundant lives and to carry the message of holistic health to their peers. Health Ambassadors are not only a resource or wellness, positivity, and encouragement, but also a catalyst tor changing the campus culture to one that is centered on love, health and wellness of mind, body and spirit.
Mind: Mental Health First Aiders
Body: Monthly Challenges
Soul: Spiritual Wellness
Health Ambassador Job Description
Health Ambassador is responsible to encourage, empower, and inspire health changes among peers. A Health Ambassador should influence the culture or the campus to ensure healthy choices are available and encouraged. Tools such as personal stories, real world examples, marketing ﬂyers, and messaging will be provided to each Health Ambassador.
Knowledge, Skills, Education & Experience required
- Must be socially oriented, approachable, enthusiastic, positive, and able to connect with others.
- Must be able to engage other students behind important campus campaigns.
- Must understand and embrace the principles of the eight laws of health applied by the acronym “STAND OUT”.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead by example by engaging in programs and events offered
- Serve as a relatable resource for peers and help refer them to helpful programs
- Articulate to others personal inspirations and motivations so that they may relate and became engaged
- Provide input and feedback to your school
- Actively participate and promote HC2020 campaigns
- Be knowledgeable of all campus resources in order to provide suggestions, helpful tips, encouragement, and support
Everyday Activities a Health Ambassador can Promote on campus
- Leading walking groups
- Encouraging breaks and prayer during class or meetings
- Promote participation in the monthly wellness challenge
- Replace one sugary beverage with water
- Monthly challenges to promote mind, body, and soul
- Healthy recipe swap
- Host a healthy potluck
- Encourage a group to sign up tor a Healthy Campus 2020 community service event
- Encourage a group to sign up for a physical activity
Arianna Huffington: The Sleep Revolution – Arianna Huffington spoke at Dominican University of California, April 9, 2016 about her new book, The Sleep Revolution. In this book she delves into the life-changing…
You may contact them at 256-726-7065
Thank you for your donations to further the mission of Healthy Campus 2020.
To give online:
- Click “Donate”
- Use drop down to “Select Campaign” and choose “Healthy Campus 2020“
- Complete the rest of the requested information
When making a gift by check:
- Make your check payable to “Oakwood University”
- Place “Healthy Campus 2020” on the memo line
- Mail your check to: Oakwood University, Office of Advancement and Development, 7000 Adventist Blvd, NW, Huntsville, AL 35896
Shirna Gullo, DNP, MSN, BSN, RN
Director of Healthy Campus 2020